Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Service Academies. As your Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, each year I have the privilege of nominating a limited number of people to four of the five service academies. A Congressional Nomination is needed to be considered by:
• The U.S. Air Force Academy
• The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
• The U.S. Military Academy
• The U.S. Naval Academy
A Congressional Nomination is not required to attend the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. Interested applicants should apply directly to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.
All applications will be reviewed to determine which students meet the qualification standards. Those students that meet the competitive standards will be interviewed by my Academy Review Board. Please note you must start an application process with the academy you are applying to, as well as the nomination process through my office and a nomination does not guarantee an appointment to an academy.
You should also consider looking into the Academy Summer Programs held at each academy. The military academies offer one week summer programs for high school juniors. The selection for these programs is highly competitive. Online applications open in January and close mid-March each year. Look on the academies’ web sites for more information about their summer programs.
The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
I wish you the best of luck as you go through this process.
What is a nomination?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may apply for a nomination to more than one service academy and in fact, you are encouraged to apply to more than one, assuming that you have the sincere desire to attend. Keep in mind that you must open a file and keep it current at each academy while also seeking a nomination from me. A nomination from me does not guarantee an appointment to an academy.
It is also recommended that you apply for a nomination from the following sources:
• U.S. Senator Rob Portman
• U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown
• Vice President Pence
This will increase your opportunity of gaining a nomination.
You may also apply to President Trump, assuming you meet the criteria.
What is an appointment?
• An appointment is a selection made by the individual academies after you have received a nomination. You will be competing with other nominees in the areas of academics, leadership potential and physical aptitude. An appointment gives you admission to an academy.
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
• Applicant must be at least 17 years of age, but not yet reached their 23rd birthday on July 1st of the year admitted to an academy;
• Must never have been married and have no legal obligation to support a child;
• Must be a citizen of the United States;
• Must be men and women of excellent moral character who are trustworthy, emotionally stable and motivated.
What are the residency requirements?
• Applicants must be residents of the 15th Congressional District which currently encompasses all of Clinton, Fairfield, Hocking, Madison, Morgan, Perry, Pickaway, and Vinton counties and parts of Athens, Fayette, Franklin, and Ross counties.
• NOTE TO MILITARY DEPENDENTS: If you are a military dependent, you are required by law to apply for a nomination in your legal domicile.
When should you apply for a nomination?
• Interested applicants should contact my office usually in the spring of their junior year of high school. For instance, those students who plan on entering the academy in 2020 (graduating class of 2024) should start this application process during the spring of 2019.
Who should you contact my office to request a nomination application form?
• To receive an application, you must first complete the Application Request Form indicating your desire to request a nomination from me.
• The deadline for completing the Application Request Form to request an application is September 20, 2019.
• Once my office receives this completed form, you will be mailed a nomination application form. The application will be sent via email to the email address listed on the Application Request Form beginning in May. The applications will NOT be sent prior to May.
• To request a copy of Congressman Stivers’ U.S. Service Academy Nomination Informational Packet, please contact the Service Academy Coordinator at 740-654-2654.
What must be included in the application package?
Please click here for a printable Checklist.
Online Application Request Form - Deadline: September 21, 2018
All of the following items must be received by Congressman Stivers’ Lancaster Office by October 18, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
□ Congressman Stivers’ Nomination Application
Once the online Application Request Form has been received, the application will be emailed to the student.
□ Official Transcripts
A legible certified/official copy of your high school transcript must be included with your application.
□ SAT/ACT Test Scores
• It is recommended you take the SAT/ACT standardized tests as early and as often as possible.
• The academies consider the highest test score received in each category regardless of when that score was received. You may have an official report of your scores sent directly to my office by designating my code: SAT # 1948, ACT # 7611.
• Because of our deadlines, please keep in mind that the last test scores that we can accept for the SAT are from the October 6 test date, and the last test scores that we can accept for the ACT are from the September 8 test date. While the academies can accept later test dates, we cannot.
• You must submit one recent wallet size photograph of yourself, be sure to print your name on the back of the photo.
□ Three Letters of Recommendation
• Three letters of recommendation are required. One letter must be from either a teacher or counselor.
□ Personal Essay
You are required to submit a personal essay (maximum of 250 words) on what motivates you to attend a service academy and the goals you have for your military career. You must sign your essay.
What is the deadline for submitting the application package?
• The 15th Congressional District deadline for returning all completed application packages to my Lancaster Office is October 18, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
• If your file is not complete by the deadline, you will not be eligible to be interviewed by my Academy Review Board.
• Please refer to the Calendar of Events for a list of important dates including test dates and submission deadlines.
How is the interview process handled?
• Congressman Stivers’ Academy Review Board will interview applicants who have returned their completed application package to the Congressman Stivers’ Office by the deadline date of October 19, 2018.
• The Board is comprised of individuals throughout the 15th Congressional District including active and retired military, members of the clergy, educators, business persons, etc. many of whom are academy graduates.
• The interviews will be held on a Saturday in November.
• Eligible applicants will be notified of the date and time of their interview in advance.
How is the nomination process handled
• We use the competitive method, which is the method favored by 80% of Members of Congress. Under this method, Congressman Stivers can submit an unranked slate of up to ten nominees for each vacancy. Each year we have at least one vacancy at each academy.
• The academies have their own selection board that then ranks out ten nominees in order of merit in accordance with the specific academy system.
• The most highly qualified is selected for an offer of appointment to fill that one vacancy.
• The other nine nominees then go into a national “pool” where they compete with other applicants for available slots.
To request a copy of Congressman Stivers’ U.S. Service Academy Nomination Informational Packet, and for additional questions, please contact the Service Academy Coordinator at 740-654-2654.
All items should be mailed to Congressman Stivers’ Lancaster District Office at 104 E. Main Street, Lancaster, Ohio 43130.
For more information or to view the above information in printable format, please click below
U.S. Service Academy Application Procedure
U.S. Service Academy Nomination Calendar of Events for 2019-2020
U.S. Service Academy Nomination Procedure Fact Sheet
U.S. Service Academy Admissions Office Contact Information
Checklist for Applicants